Thursday, June 10, 2010

Sodbusters rodeo

Saturday we...or I should say Nathan participated in the Sodbusters rodeo. It was the perfect small town rodeo with all ages and abilities steer wrestling, bull riding, bare back broncs...and of course there was Mutton bustin'!!!


This is Nathan's second time doing the Mutton bustin', we did the bull-a-rama back in April.


And as I watched the first kid ride, I was a little worried about how he'd do. This time no one was going to hold him on. They had what I referred to as the bait sheep, standing in the middle of the arena, in an attempt to make the riding sheep run a beeline to the "bait" sheep I think. But once they got the kids on the backs of the sheep they turned them loose.


Most of the kids only made it about 20 feet before hitting the dust.


Nathan was the 4th one up. they got him settled on the back of this poor sheep told him to hold on tight and let the thing go!


No word of a lie. That little cowboy hung on for dear life, and made it to the half way mark of the arena. If fact I'm pretty sure the only reason he fell is because the sheep came to a dead stop when it got to the "bait" sheep.


He rode further than any of the kids there (not that I'm bragging- okay maybe a little). And when I saw the pictures afterwards he had a huge grin on his face the whole time he was riding. Of course when he fell off he apparently landed on his head (lucky they make them wear helmets) so I think he may have also cried the hardest of all the kids too!


I don't know if we'll get him back on another sheep now.


but I love this picture of him riding and the clown running along beside him in the back ground.


No comments: