Monday, January 26, 2009

Crushes and broken hearts

So I have a huge Crush *shhhhhh****
...George Stroumboulopoulos from The Hour



mmmmm...he's so cute


oh yeah I actually love his show too!
tonight he was talking about ......
A museum dedicated to broken hearts has recently been founded in Croatia.
Author's of the concept Olinka Vištica and Drazen Grubišić decided to set up the
museum after
consoling friends over their failed romances.The museum has
everything from
romantic and touching letters to different gifts given to lovers
like teddy
bears and photos, but also such unusual examples as leg prothesis
donated by a
war veteran who fell in love with his physiotherapist or a gall
stone. Every
single object on display is anonymous, and has a short description
of the
item related to the relationship that was behind. That's why it could be
therapeutic for those with newly broken hearts."
The Museum of Broken
Relationships is an art concept which proceeds from the assumption that
objects
possess integrated fields - holograms of memories and emotions - and
intends
with its layout to create a space of secure memory or protected
remembrance in
order to preserve the material and nonmaterial heritage of
broken
relationships.
Unlike the destructive self-help instructions for
recovery
from failed loves, the Museum offers every individual the chance to
overcome the
emotional collapse through creation, i.e., by contributing to
the holdings of
the Museum. The individual gets rid of controversial objects
, triggers of
momentarily undesirable emotions, by turning them into museum
exhibits, i.e.,
artefacts and thereby participating in the creation
of a preserved collective
emotional history.
After the success of the
first display in Zagreb this
unique museum is going on world tour.


It sounds kind of neat- I think - you can bet that it's going to be a busy exhibit on Valentines Day- wherever it's showing on that day. I'd be grabbing a girlfriend and checking it out if I was nursing a broken heart around that day!-and this is one of the items and stories from the exhibit, just as a taste...


Ex – Axe
1995 Berlin She was the first woman that I let move in with
me. All my friends thought I needed to learn to let people in more. After a few
months of her moving in, I was offered to travel to the US. She could not come
with me. We said goodbye tearfully at the airport with assurance she could not
survive three weeks without me. As I returned after three weeks, she said: «I
fell in love with someone else. I know her for 4 days but I know that she gives
me all what you cannot give me.» I was banal and asked about her plans regarding
our life and living together. As the next day she still had no answer, I kicked
her out. She went immediately with her new girlfriend on holiday while her
furniture stayed with me. Not knowing what to do with my anger, I bought finally
at Karstadt this axe
to blow off some steam and to give her at least a small feeling of loss – which
she did not have obviously after losing the relationship with me. In the 14 days
of her holidays I started to axe one piece of her furniture a day. The leftovers
I let stand there, as an expression of my inner condition. The more her room
became filled with chopped up furniture, and therefore looked like I was
feeling, I was starting to get better. Two weeks after she was kicked out, she
came to take the furniture. It was neatly arranged into small heaps and
fragments of wood. She took that trash and left my apartment for the last time.
The axe is lifted to a therapeutic instrument.

No comments: